Friday, February 18, 2011

Grand Slam

I made my first Grand Slam at the Salem Bridge Club.  My partner opened 1♣.  I had 17 points.  I made my bid of 1♠.  She raised to 3♣.  I knew that she had more than an opener and at least 6♣s.  I had 2 so I knew we had a fit.  I went to 4NT.  We did simple blackwood, although I prefer RKC.  She bid 5♥.  We had all aces.  So I pushed on to 5NT.  She bid 6♥, so we were missing a king.  I counted from my hand four winning spades, at least one heart and one diamond (aces in my hand).  I knew that we had at least 8 clubs and she had two undisclosed kings.  So I went for it all at 7NT.  A heart was played that led straight to my A, Q…but she had the K so no concern there.  I then noticed that she had a whopping 18 points and 7 clubs, headed by the A, K, Q.  Clubs broke 3 -1 and it was a lay down.  It was top board (everyone else stopped at 6 NT) and awesome.

North (dealer)
♣AKQxxxx
♦Qxxx
♥K
♠A

South
♣xx
♦AJxx
♥AQx
♠KQJx

No comments:

Post a Comment